As part of the NCAA's Division III Identity Initiative in 2010, Division III Week was created to bring attention to the student-athletes competing in the largest division in the NCAA. Schools like Heidelberg are charged with promoting the academic and athletic achievements of our students.
Follow your passions and discover your potential
The college experience is a time of learning and growth – a chance to follow passions and develop potential. For student-athletes in Division III, this happens most importantly in the classroom and through earning an academic degree.
The Division III experience provides for passionate participation in a competitive athletics environment, where student-athletes push themselves to excellence and build upon their academic success with new challenges and life skills. And student-athletes are encouraged to pursue the full spectrum of opportunities available during their time in college.
In this way, Division III provides an integrated environment for student-athletes to take responsibility for their own paths, follow their passions and their potential through a comprehensive educational experience. (taken from the NCAA Division III strategic platform)
Division III at Heidelberg
Roughly half of the incoming students to Heidelberg classify themselves as student-athletes. As of April 7, 2014, Heidelberg's 20 varsity teams have a combined 457 players on their rosters.
Many of the teams have enjoyed sustained athletic success over the past decade, highlighted by many appearances in national competition.
More importantly, Heidelberg student-athletes have been recognized locally, regionally and nationally for their efforts academically.
HU's Division III Week Events
Giveaways and special activities will be held at three home events during Division III Week.
- Tuesday, April 8: Women's Tennis vs. Capital, 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 9: Softball vs. Capital, 3 p.m.
- Saturday, April 12: Baseball vs. Marietta, 1 p.m.
Online, the HU Athletics website will run a feature story that highlights the accomplishments of our Student Princes.
- Monday, April 7 -- Richard Dowdley Feature
- Tuesday, April 8 -- SAAC & the Special Olympics
- Wednesday, April 9 -- Rachel Gilbert Feature
- Thursday, April 10 -- Student Athletes & Athletic Training | Throwback Thursday on Twitter
- Friday, April 11 -- Stephen Smith Feature | Faculty Appreciation Friday on Twitter
- Sunday, April 13 -- Derek Hug Feature