Marietta at Heidelberg
Saturday, October 25, 2014 | 1:30 p.m.
Hoernemann Stadium | Tiffin, Ohio
Heidelberg Athletics has invited members of the local business community to attend the contest and check out the new Hoernemann Stadium. Businesses with representatives at the game will be recognized at halftime.
The entire campus community is invited to attend the game. People are encouraged to leisurely tour through the facility, including The Fox Den Alumni Center and the press box before and after the clash with Marietta.
The 2013 Heidelberg University football team continued their dominant offensive output to open the season, steamrolling their way through Marietta. The Student Princes scored 55 points in the first half and coasted their way to a 68-17 victory, moving their record to 4-0 on the year.
In one of the more impressive offensive halves possible, Heidelberg scored on every single drive, including a 99-yard drive starting at their own one yard line, with the lone exception being the drive that began with 19 seconds left in the 2nd quarter, where they ran out the clock. No drive for the Student Princes went over nine plays, with their longest drive being the opening one of the game, lasting 3:58. All-in-all, Heidelberg racked up 55 points and 416 yards of total offense in the half.
Quarterback Michael Mees completed 13 of 16 passes on the day for just 180 yards, but threw for five touchdowns to five different receivers. The leading receiver on the day was Donteea Dye, who made three catches for 71 yards and one touchdown. Cartel Brooks had another solid day running the ball, taking 16 carries for 134 yards and two touchdowns.
Defensively, Andy Kujawa recorded a team-high nine tackles on the day, including one tackle for loss. Ben Poirier made three tackles for loss on the day and forced one fumble, while Mitchell Kelly made an interception to help Heidelberg to the dominating victory over the Pioneers.
LAST TEN YEARS
Year Wk. HU Opp.
2013 4 Heidelberg 68 Marietta 17
2012 4 Heidelberg 56 Marietta 24
2011 7 Heidelberg 42 Marietta 20
2010 7 Heidelberg 49 Marietta 26
2009 9 Heidelberg 42 Marietta 14
2008 9 Heidelberg 42 Marietta 40
2007 8 Heidelberg 23 Marietta 31
2006 8 Heidelberg 17 Marietta 32
2005 2 Heidelberg 21 Marietta 46
2004 2 Heidelberg 8 Marietta 31
First Meeting: 1917
Total Meetings: 51
Series Record: HEID, 31-20
Average Score: HEID 24.8, MAR 19.6
Last Meeting: HEID, 68-17 at MAR
Streak: HEID, 6
Mike Hallett vs. MAR: 6-1
Andy Waddle vs. HEID: 0-1
At halftime, Heidelberg Athletics will recognize area businesses in attendance with an on-field ceremony. Afterwards, the Seneca East High School Marching Band will perform.
- QB Michael Mees has 29 career wins
- Has 83 career TD passes, surpassing the record of 69 set by Andrew Miller in 2010
- Has 5 career 300+ yard games
- With 7,754 career yards, Mees has surpassed Shane Fulton atop the Heidelberg career passing list, previously set in 1986
BROOKS WAS HERE
- RB Cartel Brooks led the OAC in rushing in 2012 & 2013
- 465 yards at Baldwin Wallace set NCAA All-Divisions Record
- 337 yards at Otterbein set a then-HU record (Jeff Brock, 301 yards, 1999 v MUSK)
- Five TDs at Otterbein ties HU record, held by himself and five others
- Has 59 career touchdowns (HU record was 58, set by Walt Livingston '58)
- His 101 yard-day vs. MUSK was the 23rd game of his Heidelberg career to go over 100 yards
- The three touchdowns against Alma was his 5th career 3+ rushing TD performance
- Has two career rushing TDs of more than 90 yards (99 at WILM, 2012; 94 at JCU, 2014)
- 4,344 career rushing yards is second in DIII among active players
- WR/KR/PR Nick DeLisa had 198 all-purpose yards vs. ONU -- 91 receiving, 74 kick return 33 punt return yards
- Tied a career high with six catches at OTT
LIVE AND LET DYE
- WR Donteea Dye, a team captain, has two TD catches in four of this season's six games
- Dye is chasing Mike Preston's career records...needs 7 TDs and 785 yards to tie the 'Berg standout
- LB Clay Staib recorded a career-high 16 tackles in the Week 3 win over ONU, eclipsing career high of 12 (9/6/14 vs. ALMA)
- His 100-yard INT return for a TD at JCU tied a 'Berg record, set by Adam Smith (1994)
THE MUSIC MAN
- P/K Stephen Smith is one of only 200 organ performance majors nationwide
- Is second in nation in points per game by a kicker with 10.0
- Kicked a career-long 37-yard FG vs. ONU
ONWARD CHRISTIAN DOMINGUEZ
- WR Christian Dominguez enjoyed a career day at Mt. Union by tallying eight catches for 110 yards and a touchdown
WHOA WHOA WHOA, STOP THE CLOCK
- For the season, Heidelberg's 32 touchdown drives have averaged five plays, 60.1yards and 1:27 seconds
- The longest TD drive for HU was a 12-play 80-yard drive against MUSK that took 4:07 off the clock
Each week, D3football.com and the Ohio Athletic Conference honor top players from Saturday. Here is a running list:
RB Cartel Brooks
OAC Offensive POTW Week 1
D3football.com TOTW Week 1
WR Donteea Dye
D3football.com TOTW Week 3
QB Michael Mees
OAC Offensive POTW Week 3
K/P Stephen Smith
OAC Spec. Teams POTW Week 4
Tony Morris & Cameron Vocke Week 5
Co-OAC Spec. Teams POTW
STUDENT-ATHLETES OF THE WEEK
Every week, a male and female student-athlete are tabbed as the Student-Athlete of the Week.
This week, cross country runners Dani Blum and Isaac Kuntz received the honor.
THE BERG IS BUSTLING
In addition to today's football game, other Student Prince athletic teams are in action.
- Women's Soccer hosts Marietta for Senior Day at the Hidden Valley Soccer Complex starting at 1 p.m
- Volleyball hosts Case Western Reserve in a non-conference match scheduled for a 4 p.m. start
- Men's soccer is on the road, at Marietta with a 2 p.m. start time