MLAX: Berg's comeback runs out of steam

Photos by Mason Hainey
Photos by Mason Hainey

TIFFIN, Ohio -- In an important conference match-up the Heidelberg University men's lacrosse team fell at home to the University of Mount Union by a final score of 13-9.

With the loss, Heidelberg (5-9, 2-4) falls a game behind Mount Union (5-8, 3-3) in the conference standings and now sit in seventh.

As part of senior day, prior to the start of the game, the program honored seniors Christian Hieronymus, Ty Garrett, and Jacob White for the contributions in helping to establish the lacrosse program at Heidelberg.

The visitors jumped out to an early two-goal lead on back-to-back strikes by Alex Ellison before Hunter Edwards got Heidelberg off the mark with his tenth goal of the season.

Two more goals either side of the first period break by Mount proved crucial in establishing their lead. Brock Hodson converted from close range on a feed from Liam Weaver for the Student Princes' second goal. Mount closed the period with two man-up goals to head to the break up by six.

The third proved to be all Heidelberg as they stormed back with four goals in the period to make things interesting heading to the fourth. Goals came from Hodson (2), Patrick McCarthy and Alex Bruder.

The Student Princes' momentum carried on into the fourth as Weaver and McCarthy scored crucial goals that tied the game at eight.

Unfortunately, the run fizzled out as Mount made a face-off adjustment and scored five straight goals that all but ended the game.

Eli Haire netted a consolation tally with 21 seconds left in the game, but Mount escaped with the 13-9 win.

Both teams worked rather efficiently on the power play. In a game that featured 14 total man-up opportunities, Mount converted four times, while the Student Princes utilized the man advantage on three occasions.

Connor Reese made his third straight start in the cage for Heidelberg and stopped 11 shots.

The Student Princes will return to action next Friday away to Baldwin Wallace. Faceoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. in Berea.